Mary M Gergen, Ph.D.
Mary M. Gergen, Ph.D., is a founder, board member and treasurer/secretary of the Taos Institute and a professor emerita of psychology affiliated with the Women’s Studies Program at Penn State University, Brandywine, Media, PA. She has positioned herself at the intellectual convergence of feminist theory and postmodernist thought, as a social constructionist. (Occasionally she gets run down, but the locale is intriguing all the same.) She has been involved in a great variety of the Taos projects, including conferences, organizational consulting and educational spheres.
Her publications include:
- Feminist Thought and the Structure of Knowledge (NYU Press, 1988),
- Toward a New Psychology of Gender, edited with Sara N. Davis (Routledge, 1997),
- Feminist Reconstructions in Psychology, Narrative, Gender & Performance (Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2001),
- Social Constructionism: A Reader, edited with K. J. Gergen (London: Sage, 2003),
- Social Construction: Entering the Dialogue, with K. J. Gergen (Taos Institute Publications, 2004),
- Constructing Worlds Together: Interpersonal Communication as Relational Process, with S. M. Schrader and K. J. Gergen (Pearson, 2008)
- Playing with Purpose: Adventures in Performative Social Science, with K. J. Gergen (Routledge, 2012),
- Retiring but not Shy, Feminist Psychologists Create Their Post-Careers, with E. Cole, editor (Taos Institute Publications, 2012).
- Paths to Positive Aging: Dog Days with a Bone, with K. J. Gergen (Taos Publications, 2016)
Since “so-called” retirement, she has been primarily involved in advising students in the Taos Ph.D. and International Diploma in Social Construction and Professional Practice Programs. Most recently she has co-edited The Sage Handbook of Social Constructionist Practice (Sage, 2020).
Mary is also co-creator of The Positive Aging Newsletter, which is dedicated to promoting a positive image of aging, as opposed to the usual negative stereotype.
Mary Gergen, Ph.D. Resources
- Toward a New Psychology of Gender (108.54 KB)
- The Production of Danger and the Economy of Fear: A Focus on Gender Relations: Notes for a Conversation (101.52 KB)
- Positionings in Gendered Relations: From Constructivism to Constructionism (135.74 KB)
- Facing Off: Postmodern/Feminism (106.85 KB)
- Corpo-(un)reality; Embodied Specie-ous (98.57 KB)