Creating Promising Futures Through Social Construction
This information is for Taos Associates.
We invite Taos Associates to submit a proposal to do a practice showcase, playshop, TAD talk, dialogue session, open space future envisioning breakout session. If you want to do a poster or paper presentation please see that link on the right side of this page. If you have a question about this, please email [email protected]
Taos Associates are invited to be the “lead" facilitator or presenter and can include their colleagues, students and friends as their co-facilitators/presenters. We encourage Taos Associates to work together to facilitate/present a session with more than one person.
We are looking for proposals that show innovations in social construction practices, bringing forward innovative, relational, appreciative, and collaborative practices from the local to the global, from the past, in the present, and in creating the future. It is important that in the description and in the session itself that there be an explicit connection of the topic to Social Construction.
If you need to submit a paper to be peer reviewed and published, in order to receive support from your university to attend the conference, see the information at this link.Timeline:
1. Submit your proposal for a breakout session between now and August 15th. All the facilitators/presenters listed in the proposal should be planning to attend the conference. If we have additional time slots available after this date, we may be able to take additional proposals. Space is limited.
2. You will be notified by September 1st with acceptance. We will try to include everyone in the program, even if we need to double up and have proposals share a time/space.
3. All lead and co-facilitators/presenters will need to register for the conference by September 15th in order to be part of the program. However: To register at the early bird rate, please register by May 31st.
In the form below you will choose the type of session you wish to propose.
Proposals open to Taos Associates as the "lead" facilitator:
1. Practice Showcase – In this format, the facilitator/presenter explains or demonstrates a unique and creative skill or practice that has applicability across various situations and offers participants an opportunity to become involved with the showcased practice. For example, practice showcase presenters would provide exemplars and stories of using this practice, and then begin to help participants develop ways to apply or fashion the new practice to their own work. This is not a lecture format. 1-hour in length.
2. Playshop – Design and facilitate a 1-hour “playshop” that introduces a performative practice that you have found to be meaningful/impactful/generative in bringing about positive change.
3. Dialogue Session – Select a topic and create the space to allow full engagement and participation of all attendees in a 1-hour dialogue around this topic. Small group conversations are encouraged rather than large group conversations.
4. TAD Talk – Like the famous TED Talks, TAD Talk presenters will prepare and deliver a vibrant 15 minute talk with slides (images only) and this will also include 5 minutes for comments, for a total of 20 mins. There will be three TAD Talks sharing a 1-hour session.
5. Open Space Future Search type session – Create a 1-hour "open space session" around a particular topic or focus with the goal of envisioning the future – the future of social construction, the future of the Taos Institute, or the future of a particular practice, initiative, research or project.
Proposals open to anyone in the world:
6. Poster Session Presentation –This is a typical visual representation of a project, practice, inquiry, or case study that is posted on poster boards (size to be determined). These will be displayed during an afternoon at the conference. Poster presenters will be present at their posters the entire time, to share handouts, show a short video, talk with visitors, and answer questions. The Poster sessions will run for 1-2 hours during an afternoon break.
7. Paper Session Presentation – The presenter will have copies of his/her paper available to participants. Presenters will be given a space during the poster presentations and a table in the area in which to have the paper available, give out the paper, and talk with participants who might come by the table to converse with the presenter. It is not a "presentation" to a group in a private room. The paper presenter will need to be present during the 1-2 hours of an afternoon to answer questions that participants might have regarding the paper. (Optional: For the peer review process, click here.)
Criteria for evaluating and choosing the proposals:
Advances the practice and theory of social construction and the work of the Taos Institute
Promotes or explores social construction and explicitly shows the connection of the topic/practice, etc. to social construction
Has a participatory element. It must be interactive, dialogic, performative or experiential
Suggested modalities to include in your proposal description:
All facilitators/presenters and co-facilitators/presenters will need to be registered for the conference by September 15th to be included in the program. There is no reduced rate for presenters because we have kept the conference prices as low as we can for everyone.
All proposal submitters are encouraged to bring young people, colleagues new to social construction and collaborative/relational/dialogic practices. There is a reduced fee for those new who will be attending the conference with you.
We very much look forward to your proposal and to working with you to help fill out a rich and full program at the Taos Institute Jubilee – 25th Anniversary and Conference.
Language: The conference is predominantly in English, however, we will schedule breakout sessions in Spanish as needed throughout the program. In the proposal form, please let us know if you want your breakout session in English, Spanish, or bi-lingual with a translator to support you.
See the form below to submit your proposal.