The Taos Institute Celebrating 20 Years
Social Constructionist Ideas and Practices
April 11 - 13, 2013 in Taos, New Mexico
Meet the Founders: (Click on the person's name to view their video)
Ken and Mary Gergen Harlene Anderson
Sheila McNamee Diana Whitney
We joined together in Taos, New Mexico for a relational hoedown as we celebrated and shared the inspirations and innovative practices that have shaped and will continue to shape our creative constructionist community. We engaged with over 185 people in Taos, and another 90 online, (about 30 countries represented) in lively and provocative conversations that moved constructionist theory and practices forward. Gather with old friends and new in the Taos family.
We had 15 participants who were at the very first Taos conference in 1993. We thank them for being a part of the Taos Institute for the past 20 years.
We had 68 participants who were attending a Taos conference for the very first time in 2013.
To see a copy of the Program: Click Here.
Video of the Conference - created by Ralph Kelly. Click Here.
We had a Listening Team at the conference whose task was to harvest, capture and summarize what was happening at the conference. Click here for their brief summary document - click here.
What are people saying about the Taos 20 celebration and conference?
- It was awesome and inspiring---cheers everyone!
- Just catching my breath, and feeling: Wasn't that FANTASTIC!
- It was a real "high." A great experience. Thank you for all you did to make it such a grand success.
- Let me add another Hurrah! I have a feeling this was an important watershed meeting. The institute's beginnings have been marked and the future stands ready. Themes that continue to bubble within me: (1) the increasingly important role of social media, (2) greater diversity in TI as a growing issue (age, race, and culture), and (3) more everyday languaging of "social constructionism." Conversations I had opened these topics even wider! Cheers!
- We want to show our gratitude to you, the experience of participating in Taos Conference not only gave us so much harvest and happiness, but also we believe it will impel us to understand deeper the mission and responsibility of TI. In addition, the Conference let us make a lot of friends, and provided us a good chance and great convenience to get many helpful books.
- Sunday (day after conference) night I’m holed up in an airport hotel for an early flight tomorrow morning and asking myself what makes someone submit themselves to a 30 hour journey having just gotten over the effects of the outbound and I can tell you - it’s the opportunity to share in all that you have achieved with the Taos Institute. I enjoyed the workshop/conference and felt very privileged to be there for the anniversary – you and your colleagues have been co-creating something very special and I want to say congratulations.
- I wanted to again thank you for facilitating such a wonderful opportunity for all. It was great to meet you and all of the amazing people in Taos. I had great fun and one of the most personally satisfying times of my life. I look forward to many more conferences and conversations.
- It was so nice to meet you all in Taos, Thank you for organizing such an amazing event.
- I want to say how much I appreciated that there WAS an online component to the conference - I think it was an awesome addition and I ended up being really surprised by how connected I felt and how much I was able to connect with people. I know you already know, but Kristin did an amazing job of coordinating everything. Hopefully, this is a component that Taos will decide to keep, for future conferences!
- I hope you have had a moment to reflect on the success of Taos 20. Not a day has passed since then that I have not thought of a conversation or a smile or a spark of understanding exchanged verbally and non-verbally! I am so grateful for the shared experience and the rich dialogues.
- Great gathering, great conversations, great possibilities! I'm still trying to recover from the nonstop pace (!), but other than that I'm still glowing.
- I was so thrilled to be in New Mexico and am still quite high from the experience. So many interesting people, such diversity, so much energy and so many good authors!! I feel rich having been a part of it.
- It was lovely to spend time re-connecting with so many wonderful like-minded colleagues in a wondrous setting. It was a great celebration.
- I was in Taos with my group of colleagues. You did an amazing job coordinating a lovely and inspiring gathering. Still buzzing!