Dr. Hsia Hui-Wen
Believing culinary can be the medium to foster many forms of development in relationships, in fact, the most important factor of education is to provide a safe and trustworthy environment for students to learn from relationships with self and others. Dr. Hsia has established the first culinary specialized vocational school in Taiwan –Kai Ping Culinary School, in which, he deeply believes, through service interactions and cooking, are ways people share, connect and pass their passion to one another. Thus, through culinary and cuisine one can learn of themselves, from themselves and form bonds with others that foster meaningful learning through interaction. For the past two decades of hard work, Dr. Hsia may humbly say that he has written a new chapter for Taiwan’s education reform. Tuning traditional education and traditional teaching pedagogies to Postmodernism with phenomenal/topic teaching pedagogies that allows students to learn through adventures of projects. This new pedagogy reorganizes curriculum and overturns the traditional subject teaching methods. Kai Ping Culinary School aims to inspire young minds through self-reflection of relationship with self, and learn from building social relationship with friends, teachers and parents. Through its specially designed pedagogies, it inspires and motives students to be passionate for the culinary profession. Although Kai Ping Culinary School focuses on the field of culinary, its principle of pedagogy can be directed and implemented to all fields of education. Other from his educational background, Dr. Hsia proactively united Taiwanese chefs to establish “Taiwan Chefs Federation,” and inducted Taiwan Chef Day, rising consciousness of the chef profession and respect for our chefs. Moreover, promoting a new culture movement such as Tribute to Taiwanese Chefs, conducting Master Chef Ceremony, and any more. He works towards upturning the social status of culinary and vocational professionals; elevating chef image with professionalism, promoting Chinese and Taiwanese Cuisine, and introducing Taiwan Culinary education, techniques and cuisine to the world.
- Founder – KaiPing Culinary School
- Founder –Relational Dynamics Institute
- Director – K.T. Li Foundation for the Development of Science and Technology
- Founder- Taiwan Chefs Federation
National Education Research:
- President – Taipei City Education Association
- Committee Member – 12 years of basic education curriculum research and develop
- Committee, National Academy Educational Research
- Specially Engaged Specialist – Industrial Technology Research Institute
- Principle – Taipei Kaiping High School
- Adjunct Professor of Educational Program – National Chengchi University
- Visiting professor – Franchise Management School of Beijing Normal University ZhuHai
- 2014 Commissioner Selection Committee – Department of Education, Taipei City Government
- Judge – Golden Bell Awards
- Bachelor Degree – Department of Architecture and Urban Design, Chinese Culture
- Master Degree – Public Administration at the University of San Francisco, 1984
- Master Degree – Literature, Macquarie University, Sydney Australia, 1992
- Doctor of Philosophy, Macquarie University, Sydney Australia, 1997
- 2015 Honorary Fellowship of AAC (American Academy of Chefs)
- 2014 Contribution Award of Technical and Vocational Education by Ministry of Education
- Flipping the wok, Business Weekly (2014)
- Dinning Etiquettes and Culture (2010)
- Hit a home run for the parental relationship, Think Tank (2011)
- Love is flowing, Think Tank (2011)
- This school makes sense, Think Tank (2004)
- Wading cross a river by feeling the stones, Shita book (1999)
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2014). The Practice of Collaborative Dialogue in Education – The Case of Kai-Ping. International Journal of Collaborative Practice, 5:1, 1-37. (English)
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2014). How do the teachers of KaiPing deal with the transforming education environment? Teacher’s Garden, 191st edition, 9-13.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2013). Postmodernism Curriculum Teaching. – The Case of Kai-Ping. Postmodern Curriculum Teaching. P77-98. Taipei.
- Hui-Wen Hsia, Xiang-Jun Lin(2002). Evaluation on the Planning and Practice on Transdisciplinary Curriculum of Culinary Education. Action Research Plan of Ministry of Education.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2010). Discussion the Orientation of cultivating a culinarian from “Carving Up an Ox” in Zhuangzi, Nourishing the Lord of Life. International Forum of Chinese Cuisine Development by World Association of Chinese Cuisine, Japan. 2010
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2009). Postmodern Culinary Education in the Global Economy Crisis. – The Case of Kai-Ping. International Forum of Chinese Cuisine Development by World Association of Chinese Cuisine, Canada. 2009
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2008). The Possibility of another type of Education Quality: Tireless Love. – The Case of Kai-Ping. Quality Journal. 44:6 edition. P9-11.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2007). The Culinary Education towards Postmodern. – The Case of Kai-Ping. National Central University 2007. Dietary Literature and Culture International Academic Conference.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2006). Research on the Relation of Teachers’ mind change and becoming Learning organizations. Paper Presentation, University of Macau Seminar.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2005). Teachers and Students learning together method effects the mind change. Paper Presentation, National Taiwan Normal University Seminar.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2004). From Social change point of view to see the Development and Future of Private schools. The Educator Monthly. 440th edition, P23-26.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2004). The Practice of Humanism in Research typed Curriculum. Paper Presentation. National Chengchi University Seminar.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2003). Synergized “Teaching” and “learning” social community constructing actions in the Integrated Curriculum. 4th Educational Profession Innovation and Action Research.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2003). Rebond after conflict. Challenging the Chinese unspoken rules – Dialog platform in a Horizontal organization. Teachers’ Garden. 123rd edition. P54-57
- Hui-Wen Hsia and the Management Team of KaiPing High School(2003). Rebond after conflict. Challenging the Chinese unspoken rules – Dialogue platform in a Horizontal organization. Teachers’ Garden. 123rd edition. P54-57
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2002). KaiPing Experience – Humanism Education reform based on Curriculum Integration. Taipei KaiPing High School.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2002). Promoting the Imagine of Chinese Cuisine Chefs – Starting from self respect. Quarterly of Foundation of Chinese Dietary Culture 8:3 edition. P28-31
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2002). Constructing professional and humanistic educational depth by “Transdisciplinarity Curriculum Integration.” Taipei KaiPing High School.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2001). Introspection on Standard Curriculum of the School Reform Practice. Taipei KaiPing High School
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2000). Research Report on Students’School life Satisfaction Survey. Taipei KaiPing High School.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(2000). The Design, Practice, and Evaluation of Students’ Standard Multielement Intelligence Examination Curriculum. Action Research Plan of Ministry of Education.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(1999). The Practice of Standard Curriculum of the School – The Case of KaiPing. Teacher’s Garden, 103th Edition.
- Hui-Wen Hsia(1998). Culinary Education in all Sectors. High School Education. 1st edition. P40-43
- Hui-Wen Hsia(1995). Preliminary Research on Curriculum of Vocational Schools. Technical and Vocational Education, 28th edition, P32-34
- Hui-Wen Hsia(1995). Preliminary Research on Curriculum Planning of Comprehensive High Schools. Education Reform Communication, 18th edition, P36-37
- Hui-Wen Hsia(1990). Creed of Curriculum Reformation of KaiPing High School – Life Experience Developing Oriented Classes. High School Education, 14th Edition, P43-48
- Hui-Wen Hsia(1990). The Planning and Development of Community Colleges Establishment. School Administration. 9th edition. P4-9
- Hui-Wen Hsia(1990). The Planning and Development of Community Colleges Establishment. Technical and Vocational Education, 58th edition. P10-15
Culinary Magazine Articles 2005~2007, Taipei City – MeiLiDian Publisher:
- (2005,12) Chef coat vs. Infertility
- (2006,01) The Dolphin show vs. Culinary Education
- (2006,02) Together vs. Not Together
- (2006,03) Conflict = Split vs. Conflict = Collaboration
- (2006,04) Professional uniform vs. Change mental status
- (2006,05) Conscientiousness vs. Quality of Life
- (2006,06) The Fairness vs. Justice of Culinary Competitions
- (2006,07) Kitchen seriousness vs. Kitchen Arts
- (2006,08) Culinary Knowledge vs. Culinary Skills
- (2006,09) Master vs. Servant
- (2006,10) Imitation vs. Creativity
- (2006,11) One man show vs. Team performance
- (2006,12) Synergy vs. Accumulative Power
- (2007,01) Organizational discipline vs. Free Creativity
- (2007,02) Food vs. Story
United Daily News Family Section [Parents-Kids Chatting Room] 2011,United Daily News:
- (20110507) My daughter broke school rules by having a perm on her hair. What should I do?
- (20110514) Kids want to buy high-tech devices.
- (20110521) Parents split-up, make kids suffer less
- (20110528) When Children Use Profanity
- (20110604) When kids want to move out
- (20110611) My kids don’t want to stay home
- (20110618) My daughter doesn’t have a boyfriend
- (20110625) When the energy of love got stuck
- (20110702) The second child never performs better then the first one
- (20110709) Unravel a tangled relationship
- (20110716) I don’t like my daughter’s boyfriend
- (20110723) My daughter is living with a married man
- (20110730) My parents insist that I should take the exam to become a government functionary
- (20110806) My rebellious kid
- (20110813) My parents don’t like my Fiancé
- (20110820) My mother doesn’t understand my stress.
- (20110827) My daughter doesn’t want to break up with her boyfriend
- (20110903) My kids don’t want to stay home
- (20110910) My kids don’t follow my plan
- (20110917) Firing the parents
- (20110924) No one listens to me
- (20111001) My kids hit others again
- (20111008) I’m against my son’s older girlfriend
- (20111015) Mom doesn’t understand the type of beauty I want
- (20111022) What do I do when my kid is dejected?
- (20111029) When kids have a menial attitude toward their jobs.