Mark McKergow, Ph.D., MBA
Director, sfwork – The Centre for Solutions Focus at Work
15 St George’s Avenue, London N7 0HB, UK
Phone: 08453 707145 or 07976 936086
Dr. Mark McKergow is an international consultant, speaker and author. Many people around the world have been inspired by his work in Solutions Focus – presented with his inimitable blend of scientific rigor and performance pizzazz. He is a world pioneer in applying the pragmatic and minimal philosophy of Solutions Focus (SF) to the organizational world, and has created a global community of practitioners sharing and developing new applications.
Mark has led the development of strategic planning, negotiation, conflict management and organizational change models, as well as being one of the world’s leading group facilitators. With his partner Jenny Clarke, Mark edits and publishes books about SF in organizations, and is engaged in building links between SF and other post-structural approaches and academia. His strengths in taking a wide perspective, learning rapidly, communicating, facilitating and combining a gentle touch with timely incisiveness lead to excellent results on time.
Mark founded sfwork with Jenny Clarke in 2006. He has specialized in working with Solution Focus, accelerated learning, management development and change as an independent consultant since 1992, and has completed over 100 consulting projects to date. Recent highlights include:
- Leading the six-strong sfwork team in a series of consulting, facilitation and strategy projects with clients ranging from NHS trusts to semiconductor manufacturers to TATE.
- Establishing SFCT, a new professional body for Solution-Focused consultants and trainers, with international colleagues in 2008.
- Editing the SFCT journal InterAction and using it to draw in established academics, authors and practitioners from a range of fields – the ninth edition appears in May 2013.
- Gaining a position as a visiting research fellow at the University of Hertfordshire Dept of Philosophy from 2011, where he is investigating the philosophy of SF as an embodied, narrative and enactive process.
- Running SF seminars and speaking at conferences across Europe, the USA and Canada and the Far East since 2002.
- Being elected a member of Jack Canfield’s Transformational Leadership Council in 2006 – one of only two UK members.
- Being at the heart of the international SOLWorld community of SF practitioners since 2002, running the first two conferences and attending every event to date (the group has mounted eleven international conference, summers schools, six Japanese conferences and a North American event to date).
- Writing the best-selling business book ‘The Solutions Focus – Making coaching and change SIMPLE (with Paul Z Jackson), declared one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2002 in the USA and now in a second edition in 8 languages including Chinese and Japanese.
- Writing two further books and countless articles on SF and organizational change. Mark is currently a columnist for Coaching At Work magazine and runs SolutionsBooks, a small publishing imprint for books on SF and management.
- Developing new ideas on leadership, hosting and hospitality leading to an acclaimed peer-reviewed paper – see www.hostleadership.com.
- Convening the London Bateson Salon with Nora Bateson to discuss the work of her late father Gregory Bateson. The Salon meets three time a year in iconic London locations.