Emerson F. Rasera, Ph.D.
Institute of Psychology
Universidade Federal de Uberlândia
Av. Pará, 1720, bl. 2C
Emerson F. Rasera is a Professor of Group Theory and Supervisor of Group Practice at the Universidade Federal de Uberlândia/Brazil. Currently, he is the Coordinator of the Graduate Program in Applied Psychology and a member of the Board of Directors of the Brazilian Association of Social Psychology. He is the Editor of the Brazilian journal “Gerais: Revista Interinstitucional de Psicologia”. He has training in Community Health, Group work, Mediation and Family therapy.
He studied under the supervision of Sheila McNamee at the University of New Hampshire where he also had the opportunity of discussing theoretical and methodological issues of his doctoral research with John Lannamann and John Shotter during a very productive time in Durhan/NH. This was a very important experience in his learning of social constructionism.
During many years, he was involved with the social movement for the rights of people living with AIDS in Brazil. He is a co-founder of the ‘Grupo Humanitário de Incentivo à Vida”, a non-governmental organization that provides psychological support for this population and promotes advocacy actions. The activities of this NGO aim to give voice and to mobilize people living with AIDS in the development of public policies that consider their needs and rights.
As a professor and researcher, he is interested in studying social constructionist contributions to psychological practices, especially in the health context. The main projects that are being developed in the research group he coordinates are related to two different research lines: i) The making sense process about health issues and ii) Psychological practices and the social constructionist discourse.
He co-authored “Grupo como construção social” (Group as social construction) with Marisa Japur and he has written many articles about Group work, Social Construction, Psychotherapy, Public Health, Aids care and Qualitative research methods.
Emerson Rasera, Ph.D. Manuscripts
- Contribuições do pensamento construcionista para o estudo da prática grupal
- Desafios da aproximação do construcionismo social ao campo da psicoterapia
- Grupo de apoio aberto para pessoas portadoras do HIV: a construção da homogeneidade
- Os sentidos da construção social: o convite construcionista para a Psicologia
- Problema e mudança em terapia de grupo: descrições construcionistas sociais
- Psicologia, ciência e construcionismos: dando sentido ao self
- Sobre a preparação e a composição em terapia de grupo: descrições construcionistas sociais