Kathy Isaacson, Ph.D.
4756 Southern Ave SE
Albuquerque NM 87108
Kathy Isaacson is the founder and president of Strategic Engagement, a communication consulting organization (Albuquerque New Mexico). She serves as a transformational change specialist, mediator, facilitator, and trainer. She works with groups and individuals, organizations, institutions, leaders, governments, and industries in the United States and abroad. Her decades of experience facilitating social change enable empowerment for individuals, organizations, communities and systems of all sizes. Her mediation services include interpersonal issues (family), organizational issues (workplace) and industry-wide issues (systems).
Isaacson is the founder of the Mediation Clinic at the University of New Mexico, and helped to establish the Prosperity Game methodology by designing, directing, and facilitating high-level strategy and leadership games for such clients as the White House Initiative on TCU’s, Eastman Kodak, The President’s Commission on Critical Infrastructure, Sandia National Laboratories, Lockheed Martin, and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. She was appointed as a member of the President’s Board of Advisers to the White House Initiative on Tribal Colleges and Universities under both the Bush and Obama administrations and also served as the Chair of the Board of the Institute for Higher Education Policy. She is on the Advisory Board for the UNM Communication and Journalism Department and an Associate with the Taos Insitute.
With 25 years of academic work in conflict and communication, Isaacson concentrates on system design and innovative methods in change management. She is an adjunct faculty at the University of New Mexico. Isaacson is the author four books and numerous articles and videos with co-author Stephen Littlejohn. She received her master’s degree in communication from the University of New Mexico and Ph.D. from Tilburg University.
- 2007: Facework: Bridging Theory and Practice. Sage Publications.
- 2007: Communication, Conflict, and the Management of Difference. Waveland Press.
- 2007: “The Affirmative Turn in Strategic Planning,” OD Practitioner.
- 2004: Facilitative Leadership – An educational video. For more information, go to www.evgonline.com
- 2001: Mediation: Empowerment in Conflict Management. Waveland Press, 2001
- 2001: Engaging Communications in Conflict: Systemic Practice Sage Publications
- 1998: Team Mediation System: Effective Communication in Teams – an educational video. (Distributed by Educational Video Group)
- 1999: Mediation practices in knowledge-based teams, in Advances in the Interdisciplinary Study of Teamwork, JAI. (Kathy Isaacson with James Barker)
- 1999. Practices de Mediação para Equipes Basedadas em Conhecimento, in Novos Paradigmas em Mediação. Artmed Editora (Brazil). (Kathy Isaacson with James Barker)