Robin Cooper, Ph.D.
Nova Southeastern University
3301 College Avenue, Suite 3434
Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33314
I have lived in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, with my husband, Jack, and I love the wonderful diversity of this region. Having lived in Asia and Europe as well as various parts of the United States, I enjoy living in a community made up of people from many different countries and backgrounds. My doctorate is in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, and my research focuses on exploring how constructions of identity related to gender, ethnicity, culture, and nationality impact intrapersonal, interpersonal, and intergroup conflict. I am also intrigued by the promise that narrative mediation and relational problem-solving hold for transforming and resolving these types of conflicts through such processes as deconstructing the dominant discourse and the co-construction of new stories of identity and relationships, as well as the identification and consideration of human needs within problem-solving processes.
Another area of interest to me in my research is how individuals negotiate and respond to social change and social control. I also love qualitative research, and my teaching includes not only conflict resolution courses but also courses on qualitative research design, collection, and analysis.
Web links to journals for which I serve as Managing Editor and/or Associate Editor – Forum:
- Qualitative Social Research http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs
- The Qualitative Report http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/
- Peace and Conflict Studies journal http://shss.nova.edu/pcs/
Web links to articles published online:
- Cooper, R. (2009). Constructing belonging in a diverse campus community. Journal of College and Character, 10(3). http://journals.naspa.org/jcc/vol10/iss3/10/
- Cooper, R., Edsall, D., Riviera, D., Chaitin, J., & Linstroth, J. P. (2009). “My country” / “This country”: Ambivalent belongings of Cuban Americans in South Florida. Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 10(3), Art. 13, http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs0903134
- Cooper, R., Linstroth, J. P., & Chaitin, J. (2009). Negotiating the transnationality of social control: Stories of immigrant women in South Florida. Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 10(3), Art. 14, http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs0903142