The Taos Institute uses a print-on-demand printing process and this is beneficial for the environment. Our printer, Lightning Source, follows and has been certified for GREEN publishing practices.
Below is text from their website:
The environmental advantages of utilizing POD technology allow books to be printed to fill an existing demand. POD lessens the possibility of returns, reduces supply chain waste, greenhouse emissions, and conserves valuable natural resources.
To build upon the environmental responsible forestry, our POD model, Lightning Source chose to receive these certifications:
- Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC®) The FSC® Council is a non-profit organization, promoting the environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests. FSC® certification is recognized internationally as a rigorous environmental and social standard for responsible forest management.
- FSC® Trademark license code: FSC-C084699
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) The Sustainable Forestry Initiative is an independent, internationally recognized non-profit organization responsible for the SFI certification standard, the world’s largest single forest certification standard. The SFI program is based on the premise that responsible environmental behavior and sound business decisions can co-exist to the benefit of communities, customers and the environment, today and for future generations.
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification™ (PEFC™) The PEFC™ Council is an independent , non-profit, non-governmental organization, founded in 1999, which promotes sustainability-managed forests through independent third party certification. The PEFC™ provides an assurance mechanism to purchasers of wood and paper products ensuring they are promoting the sustainable management of forests.
Lightning Source has received Chain of Custody (CoC) certification from:
- The Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC®)
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification™ (PEFC™)
- The Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®).