Sheila McNamee, Ph.D.
Sheila McNamee, Ph.D. is Professor Emerita of Communication at the University of New Hampshire and co-founder and Vice President of the Taos Institute. She has held visiting professorships at the University of Parma, Italy; Utrecht University, Netherlands; University of Sao Paulo, Brazil; and City University of Hong Kong. Her work is focused on dialogic transformation within a variety of social and institutional contexts.
She is author of several books and articles, including Research and Social Change: A Relational Constructionist Approach (with D.M. Hosking, Routledge, 2012), Relational Responsibility: Resources for Sustainable Dialogue (with K.J. Gergen, Sage, 1999), and co-editor of Education as Social Construction: Contributions to Theory, Research, and Practice, (with T. Dragonas, K. Gergen, & E. Tseliou, Taos WorldShare, 2015), the Sage Handbook of Social Constructionist Practice (McNamee, M. Gergen, Camargo-Borges, & Rasera – Sage, 2020), and the forthcoming Practicing Therapy as Social Construction (with E. Rasera & P. Martins, Sage).
Professor McNamee actively engages constructionist practices in a variety of contexts to bring communities of participants with diametrically opposing viewpoints together to create livable futures. She lectures and consults regularly, both nationally and internationally for universities, private institutes, organizations, and communities.
Sheila McNamee, Ph.D. Resources
- Radical presence: Alternatives to the therapeutic state (371.38 KB)
- Relational Bridges Between Constructionism and Constructivism (69.16 KB)
- The Social Construction of Psychotherapy (60.25 KB)
- Therapy and Identity Construction In A Postmodern World (69.2 KB)
- Presencia Radical: alterativas para el estado terapéutico (269.21 KB)
- More of Sheila McNamee’s manuscripts
- Sheila McNamee Videos on Taos website
- More Sheila McNamee Videos
- Sheila McNamee Books
- Sheila McNamee Podcasts